Starting your Pilot Career

Whether you are starting your training for a career or pleasure your pathway and progression will follow a standard line starting with the Recreational Pilots Licence (RPL) this licence will enable you to take friends and family on local joy flights but as it is a basic licence it will have its restrictions but is a great place to start.

The RPL then leads onto the Private Pilots Licence (PPL) that will give you far more freedom and allow you the opportunity to fly anywhere in the world in an Australian registered aircraft. For those following aviation for pleasure this is all you require. There are many seperate ratings and endorsements available to attach to the PPL but further licence training is not required.

After the PPL is where it starts to become a little more serious. The Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL) is the licence you will require in order to be employable. There are seven CASA theory exams to pass and a high standard required to ensure passenger safety and aircraft efficiency.

There are many ratings and endorsements that can be attached along the way, many of them are requirements for professional pilots and others are more specialised for certain sectors, some are just because they are fun. Keep reading below to find out more about each licence seperately or click on the appropriate page above.

Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)


A Recreational Pilot license allows you to fly as pilot in command of an aircraft within 25NM radius of the departure aerodrome with a maximum of one (1) passenger. You will complete your first solo flight around 12-15 hours and have 5 hours solo prior to your flight test. At the completion of this course you can move onto a Private Pilot License (PPL).

Fly Oz RPL Syllabus


  • 25 hours dual PA28
  • 5 hours PA28 Solo (2 Circuit and 3 Area)
  • RADIO, PRE SOLO/ AREA Theory exams
  • Flight test
  • PA28 rental for flight test (1.3)

Course requirements: Apply for an Aviation Reference Number (ARN) from CASA. You must be 15 years old to fly solo. Be at least 16 years of age to be issued a RPL. Pass a Class 2 or recreational aviation medical examination. Complete Fly Oz RPL Syllabus.

Private Pilot Licence (PPL)


The PPL allows you to fly as pilot in command anywhere in Australia. Youcan take up to (5) passengers and can cost share your flying. You must complete a flight review every two (2) years to remain current and complete three (3) take offs and landings within the previous 90 days if you are taking passengers.

Fly Oz PPL Course includes:


  • 30 Hours PA28 Dual
  • 5 hrs Sim Controlled Airspace
  • Flight test
  • PA28 rental for flight test (3.0)
  • Landing fees
  • KDR’s and Flight test ground: 3 hours


Training and Experience Requirements for PPL:


  • Recreational Pilot Licence
  • Class 2 medical
  • ASIC
  • CASA PPL theory exam.
  • Complete Fly Oz PPL Syllabus.

Commercial Pilots Licence


The CPL allows you to work in the aviation industry for hire or reward. Careers such as flight instructors, charter and airline pilots, agricultural operations and aerial survey are a few of the roles available to a commercial pilot. Your Commercial Licence authorises you to fly any aircraft in any operation other than:

  • PIC of a multi crew aircraft in a charter or RPT operation.
  • PIC of an aircraft certified for single pilot operation with a max take off weight greater than 5700kg in a RPT operation.
  • PIC of a turbojet aircraft with a max take off weight greater than 3500kg in a RPT operation.


200 hours total aeronautical experience that includes

  • 190 hours of flight time as a pilot
  • 100 hours of flight time as pilot in command
  • 20 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command
  • 10 hours instrument time
  • 5  hours instrument time in an aircraft


These hours are the total hours required for the Commercial Licence so all RPL and PPL hours count.

Contact Us

Office: 02 6342 1812


Online Learning Centre



112 Airport Road, Cowra, NSW 2794